Be Prepared For An Emergency: Get A Survival Kit
Being well-prepared means being equipped and ready with the proper supplies you need in times of an emergency or a disaster. Make sure to keep your supplies in an easy and portable emergency kit that you can utilize at home or take with you in case you need to evacuate.
Be Prepared For An Emergency
Here are some of the basic supplies that you need to have for your emergency preparedness kit.
Get A Survival Kit
It is an essential element to survival and a necessary item in an emergency preparedness kit. After a disastrous event, availability of clean drinking water could be cut-off or compromised due to contamination. That is why we need to prepare and build a supply of clean water that will meet your family’s needs and consumption during an emergency. Place them on water bottles or water containers enough to cater the days staying in an evacuation center.
It is advisable to keep one gallon of clean water per person per day for a minimum of three days, both for drinking and sanitary use.
During a disaster, power shortages may occur for several days. It is very important to stock canned food, and other supplies that do not require refrigeration, water, cooking or other special preparation. It is also essential to prepare a manual can opener and eating utensils.
Consider the following things when you choose which canned food to prepare:
– Store non-perishable food that is good for at least 3 days;
– Avoid food that makes you thirsty;
– Remember dietary needs of your family;
– Choose food that your family member want to eat; and
– Pack salt-free crackers, and canned good with high water content.
The following equipment should also be included in an emergency kit:
– Flashlight and spare batteries
– First aid/medicine kits
– Whistle (to signal for help)
– Battery-operated radio
– Rechargeable lamps
– Extra cash and important documents
– Dust mask to help filter contaminated air and plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter-in-place
– Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties for personal sanitation
– Local maps
– Cell phone with chargers power banks, or solar charger
Having a generator at home is also recommended to supply electricity during power shortages and blackouts.
If you can also make ready with you portable sleeping bags that be used if ever evacuation is necessary, you can find best backpacking sleeping bags online especially from an outdoor gear review website like GeWeAre.com that features durable and reliable quality equipment.
It is really necessary to be prepared and learn the things to bring for your emergency kit and keep yourself and family safe during disasters.