Being well-prepared means being equipped and ready with the proper supplies you need in times of an emergency or a disaster. Make sure to keep your supplies in an easy and portable emergency kit that you can utilize at home or take with you in case you need to evacuate.
Be Prepared For An Emergency: Get A Survival Kit
Here are some of the basic supplies that you need to have for your emergency preparedness kit.
It is an essential element to survival and a necessary item in an emergency preparedness kit. After a disastrous event, the availability of clean drinking water could be cut-off or compromised due to contamination. That is why we need to prepare and build a supply of clean water that will meet your family’s needs and consumption during an emergency. Place them on water bottles or water containers enough to cater the days staying in an evacuation center.
It is advisable to keep one gallon of clean water per person per day for a minimum of three days, both for drinking and sanitary use.
During a disaster, power shortages may occur for several days. It is very important to stock canned food, and other supplies that do not require refrigeration, water, cooking, or other special preparation. It is also essential to prepare a manual can opener and eating utensils.
Consider the following things when you choose which canned food to prepare:
– Store non-perishable food that is good for at least 3 days;
– Avoid food that makes you thirsty;
– Remember the dietary needs of your family;
– Choose food that your family member wants to eat; and
– Pack salt-free crackers, and canned goods with high water content.
The following equipment should also be included in an emergency kit:
– Flashlight and spare batteries
– First aid kits and medical supplies
– Whistle (to signal for help)
– Battery-operated radio
– Rechargeable flashlights or lamps
– Extra cash and important documents
– Dust mask to help filter contaminated air and plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter-in-place
– Moist towelettes, garbage bags, and plastic ties for personal sanitation
– Local maps
– Cell phone with chargers, power banks, or solar charger
Having a gasoline generator at home is also recommended to supply electricity during power shortages and blackouts.
If you can also make ready with you portable sleeping bags that be used if ever evacuation is necessary, you can find from sports store or online shops for durable and reliable quality backpacking sleeping bags.
It is really necessary to be prepared and learn the things to bring for your emergency kit and keep yourself and your family safe during disasters.